Tuesday 25 December 2012

Best Book Series Instalments of 2012






This year has just flown, and because I don't want to forget all that I read in the blur that was 2012, I have decided to participate in Top Ten of 2012 Week: A week of Looking back...And looking forward hosted by FiktshunA Life Bound by BooksConfessions of a BookaholicTwo Chicks on Books and Magical Urban Fantasy Reads 

Each day will be a different Top 10 and today's Top 10 is the Best Book Series Instalments of 2012Essentially this will be a top ten list of instalments of series/trilogy/set that came out this year and/or I read .Book 1's or a series/trilogy don't count unless I have already read at least book 2.  This is not a list of the best series as such but of the best instalment to that series (e.g. book 2 of the Example series).  It seems that most books I read these days are series' rather than stand alones and also I read a number of multiple books in series etc this year so this list is a way to celebrate them :)



10. Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse #4) by Charlaine Harris



I read the whole Sookie Stackhouse series in the first week and a half of early January.  It's such a fun read and while I love the True Blood series, I think I love the books more.  This one is my favourite out of the lot.
Add to Goodreads
Purchase: Book Depository


9. The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey #3) by Julie Kagawa

Add to Goodreads

Another series that I read in a row over the space of perhaps a week? I haven't actually finished the Iron Knight yet but it was a toss up between the Iron Daughter and this one.  What clinched the deal for me was that it took me a couple of tries to start the Iron Daughter (and then went on to love it) while this one i think devoured from start to finish in just 1 or two sittings :)

Purchase: Book Depository


8. The Lost Queen (The Faerie Path #2) by Frewin Jones

Add to Goodreads

Another series I discovered by accident while browsing my library earlier this year.  The library only had the first 3 so I went out and purchased the entire series LOL! This is book 2 though so far I have still only read the first 3.  I love urban fantasy particularly when it is real world vs Faerie World.  The majority of this book is set in the real world as Faerie princess Tania seeks the lost Queen Titania. I plan to read the rest of this series in 2013 :)

Purchase: Book Depository


7. The Ancient Future (The Dark Age #1) by Traci Harding

Add to Goodreads

This is one of my most favourite series of all time and this is the book that started it all.  I first read this book in 1996 but it gets a re-read at least once every year.  Another  urban fantasy but this one involves time travel, Celtic mythology, gorgeous Welsh princes and best of all an Aussie heroine.

I really love this book and this series.

Purchase: Book Depository

6. Black Dawn (The Morganville Vampires #12) by Rachel Caine

Add to Goodreads

Book 12 of this awesome series is my pick for spot number 6.  I thought nothing could beat #11 The Last Breath, which was, excuse the pun, breathtaking... Until I read this instalment.  This book is heavier and grittier than previous books.  It si like the danger and stakes have been lifted to a whole new level.  I really love this series and really need to get round to reading Bitter Blood, the next boiok in the series :)

Purchase: Book Depository



5. Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy #4)
 by Jennifer Estep

Add to Goodreads

Yet another instalment of a series that has lifted the series to a whole new level.I just finished reading this a couple of weeks ago and will be posting a review before the end of the year.

Purchase: Book Depository



4. Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters #3) by Jessica Shirvington

Add to Goodreads

This series has been out in Australia for a few years now but it wasn't till I saw a couple of reviews for Embrace and Entice (the first novels in this series) that I got around to reading it.  I have read a few series to do with angels and this is one of the better ones. This particular instalment I found to be more engaging and gripping than the previous two and that's why it is marginally my favourite over Entice.

Purchase: Book Depository




3. Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test #2) by Aimee Carter

Add to Goodreads
This one is my favourite of the series mostly because of the kick ass cliff hanger it finishes with, leaving me drooling to read #3 Goddess Inheritance. I also think the storyline is more involved than the first book.




2. Before I wake (Soul Screamers #6)  by Rachel Vincent

Add to Goodreads

This series in general was easily the one of the best series I read this year. When I received this particular instalment to read, I had to go out and the read the first 5 books which I did in about 4 days! Book 5, If I die, had been awesome. I mean it is hard to top the main character dying but somehow Before I Wake managed to be even better bringing together more elements and connecting more dots in a compelling storyline.


Purchase: Book Depository




1. Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Add to Goodreads

Another series about Angels and all I can say about this series, and this book in particular is WOW! I loved this book! It made me cry and left me hanging to read the concluding book Boundless which is due out in about 3 weeks! By far the best series instalment I have read all year!

Purchase: Book Depository


Don't forget to comment and let me know your top 10 for this year.

3 comments:

  1. Dead to the World is definitely a stand out from the Sookie Stackhouse series for me too. Eric is just so sweet! Great list!

    My Top Ten is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dead to the World is the best Sookie book! I love that Before I Wake is on here cause I really love that series. Great list.


    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't managed to finish Hallowed due to getting spoiled by an early review, but I plan to once I find the time. :D LOVED Before I Wake. I was waiting for that book to happen so, soo long.

    Happy Holidays,

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete